Tourism in Franche-Comté, around Château de Germigney
Not to be missed
During your stay at Château de Germigney, you will have the opportunity to discover numerous tourist sites located close to Port-Lesney. Don’t hesitate to ask for advice. Here are some suggestions:
- The Royal Saltworks in Arc-et-Senans The Royal Saltworks by Claude-Nicolas Ledoux at Arc-et-Senans (5 miles): An architectural monument absolutely magnificent Included in the list of World Heritage Sites of UNESCO; exhibitions, animations, gardens, events … all just 10 minutes from Château de Germigney.
- Salins-les-Bains (10 km away): at the foot of Mount Poupet, visit this spa city whose Saltworks are recognised as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. In the Salt Museum you will learn everything about the “white gold” and its impact on the regionthe saltworks.
- Besançon (38 km away): Discover the capital of Franche-Comté. In a loop of the river Doubs, the city offers a vibrant centre. Don’t miss the Citadel, a work by Vauban listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO, as well as the Museum of Time, the Museum of Fine Arts, the House of Victor Hugo, the Cité des Arts et de la Culture…the Citadel
- Baume-les-Messieurs (43 km):one of the “most beautiful villages of France”. Visit the village and its remote location, its cave, its Abbey, its cascades … Numerous paths will take you to the heights and will offer you an amazing view of the village.
- Ornans and the works of Courbet (48 km): The “Little Venice” of the Jura will take you to the roots of painter Gustave Courbet. A museum A museum devoted to his work awaits you in his birth house. You will also have an opportunity to follow one of the tracks which will take you to the sights and landscapes that inspired the artist.
Discover the Wines and Cheeses of the Jura
The Jura is an authentic and generous gourmet region. Benefit from your stay at Château de Germigney to taste the local cuisine.
The Jura vineyards include 7 AOCs: Crémant, Macvin, Côtes du Jura, Château-Chalon, l’Etoile, Arbois and Marc du Jura. The flagship wine variety of the region, the Savagnin, d, produces white wines with good ageing capacity and rich nut aromas. It is also used for blending with Chardonnay.
As a late harvest wine, the Savagnin serves as a basis for the highly reputedVin Jaune, which is legendary for the region and whose Fête de la Percée vintage festival, every first weekend in February, is a milestone for the viticultural year. Come and visit Château-Chalon (38 km), a stronghold of vin jaune which is one of the “most beautiful villages of France”.
Finally, red and rosé wines are produced from Poulsard and Trousseau vines, in particular in Arbois (13 km), capital of the Jura wines, Montigny-lès-Arsures (9 km) and Pupillin (16 km).
Amongst the most well known wines of the region, taste as well the Vin de Paille and the Macvin,surprising wines both as far as the method of production and as their taste is concerned.
The Jura vineyards are promoted under the label of “Vineyards and Discoveries”. Take the Wine Route and discover the estates, cellars and winegrowers. On the programme: convivial tastings with many pleasant surprises.
As far as culinary arts are concerned, the Jura is likewise attractive. Don’t miss the tasting of comté, the legendary cheese of the region. Many fruitières (wine co-operatives) await you for tasting and buying this cheese, which is suitable with an aperitif for generous recipes such as chicken with comté, gougères (puff pastry filled with cheese), Jura fondue … InPoligny (22 km), the “comté capital”, the Maison du Comté teaches you all the secrets of this cheese, the first in France to have been awarded an AOC.
Other cheeses quintessential to the Jura region: Morbier, Bleu de Gex, Cancoillotte, Mont d’Or…
Sports and leisure
Mountains, lakes, ski resorts, golf courses, rivers, forests …the Jura is a “nature” destination par excellence. Many activities are available throughout the year:
- Hiking and walking:many paths take you to amazing viewpoints to discover the countryside. Some tracks are adapted both for walking and biking. Close to Château de Germigney, we suggest the discovery of Mont Poupet (Salins-les-Bains), the Fer à Cheval (Arbois/Mesnay), Baume-les-Messieurs, the Pic de l’Aigle (La Chaux-du-Dombief), the Hérisson Waterfalls (Menétrux-en-Joux), the Grande Traversée du Jura… From Port-Lesney, you can also explore the embankments of the river Loue; At the Chateau we have bicycles for your use
- Fishing Fishing with a professional guide: the river Loue but also the Cuisance and the Seille, first category rivers, are in particular rich in trout and graylings.
- Golf: amateurs of golf meet on one of the 4 courses less than an hour away from the chateau. Discover also the golf course near Lons le Saunier TheVal de Sorne (25miles) considered as one of the 20 most beautiful in France, the golf of Rochat in Les Rousses (47 miles), 18 Jura holes par excellence and the Golf de La Chevillotte in Besançon(24 miles).the Golf du Val d’Amour in Parcey, the Val de Sorne golf coursethe golf du Rochat .
- Winter sports: : Alpine and Nordic skiing, snowboard, dog sledging, an Adrenaline rush can be guaranteed throughout the winter. As far as the resorts are concerned, discover Les Rousses, the resorts of Haute-Joux, Métabief… in particular. You can also discover theGrande Traversée du Jura, 110 miles of ski runs or cross country skiing, between Ain and Doubs.
- The lakes: swimming, pedal boat, excursions, sailing … water sports activities and farniente can be appreciated in majestic scenery. Don’t miss the lakes of Chalain, Vouglans, Narlay, l’Abbaye, Clairvaux…